Job role insights
February 1, 2024
Cape Town Western Cape
Bergvliet High School (BHS) is searching for a committed, energetic and organised Departmental Head to join the School Management Team. This is a vacant post and the commencement date shall be determined by the Western Cape Education Department (WCED).
In addition to the requirements set out in the Personnel Administrative Measures (PAM) document 1999, applicants are sought with the following skills, qualities and experience:
FORMAL QUALIFICATION(S) AND INHERENT REQUIREMENTS:
- A recognized three year (REQV13) qualification which includes teacher education is essential.
- A recognized four year (REQV14) qualification which includes teacher education is recommended.
- A post graduate qualification in education management and leadership is recommended.
- Be registered with SACE.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience across all grade levels is essential within similar schools offering a full range of academic, cultural and sporting activities.
- In-depth teaching of a subject taught at Bergvliet High School and knowledge of the Grade 8 to Grade 12 curriculum.
- Must complete and pass a Competency Assessment prior to appointment.
- Proven educational leadership and management experience in the FET phase.
- Have excellent communication skills at all levels, both verbal and written as well as public speaking skills.
- Senior Certificate marking or examining experience
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Proven communication, problem and conflict resolution skills
- Proven innovative contribution to curriculum management and co-curricular organisational activities;
- Proven effective team-building and management skills;
- Must be fully computer literate – Ms Word, Ms Excel and Ms PowerPoint; skilled in e-learning and interactive whiteboard teaching; Outlook and Internet
- Full participation in co-curricular activities is expected – must offer extra mural activities of school
- Effective learner behaviour management skills
- LOLT is English
The post will be advertised in the WCED vacancy bulletin 1/2024 (https://wcedonline.westerncape.gov.za) in February 2024
An official application must be submitted via the WCED’s recruitment portal at that time.
Potential candidates requiring further information about the school may visit our website: www.bhs.org.za
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and invited to present on a pre-arranged topic to the recruitment Panel and will be expected to be available for interviews at a date, time and place determined by the school. BHS is an equal opportunities employer. The school and the WCED reserve the right not to fill the post. An expression of interest or submission of a formal application via the WCED will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview. Failure to meet the qualification and experience criteria will automatically disqualify candidates from consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.
Bergvliet High School is located on Firgrove Way, Bergvliet, Cape Town, 7806